POSITION: Staff Attorney – Family Law
LOCATION: Norwalk Office
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $53,215 to $89,190 depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt Position
About Community Legal Aid SoCal
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958. CLA SoCal is dedicated to meeting the legal needs of low-income people throughout Orange and Southeast Los Angeles Counties. With an emphasis on innovation, language access, and a holistic approach to client care, we help our neighbors fight injustice by providing compassionate, high quality legal aid, and advocating for stronger communities.
CLA SoCal seeks an energetic, motivated, compassionate, personable and effective Staff Attorney to be part of the Norwalk Office. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion and commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals.
Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, this position is responsible for primarily handling a full range of the Family Law case. The position will also include representation of clients in Public Benefits issues.
- Handle active personal caseload of full-representation cases;
- Conduct client interviews, negotiation, settlement, trial and appeal of cases in State and Federal Courts;
- Research and prepare pleadings and other legal documents in connection with trials, hearings, and other legal proceedings;
- Direct and supervise clinical law students and paralegals;
- Conduct community meetings and attends outreach events; and
- Participate in activities of community-based organizations and Bar Association activities.
- Juris Doctor degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar or membership to another state bar and ability to register as a legal services provider.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, computer skills and problem-solving skills; attention to detail;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and with external community contacts;
- Excellent negotiation and organizational skills;
- Detail oriented;
- Good client skills and comfort working with indigent clients;
- Desire to learn as well as share knowledge with other team members;
- Work well as part of a team, but also be able to work independently;
Preferred, but Not Necessary Qualifications for Consideration:
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills; and
- Knowledge of and experience with trauma-informed lawyering preferred.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, and sick time on their first day. Upon successfully completing the six-month probation period, compensation increases may be available within the first initial year of employment. Employees who are able to prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Ebony Dailey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.