POSITION: Paralegal, Complex Litigation Unit
SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $18.03 per hour to $28.69 per hour (Depending on experience)
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt (Hourly)
LOCATION: CLA SoCal Office(s) – Santa Ana, Norwalk, Compton, or Anaheim (physical offices are currently closed due to Covid-19, but are expected to reopen)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low-income individuals and seniors. CLA SoCal has a staff of more than 100 employees and two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County.
CLA SoCal seeks an enthusiastic, self-motivated, knowledgeable, and compassionate paralegal to join the Complex Litigation Unit (CLU). CLU has a broad practice area, which can include civil rights, housing, disability rights, government benefits, immigration, health, and consumer law. It seeks a paralegal who can thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment and assist attorneys in all phases of litigation, ranging from pre-complaint investigation through trial and appeal.
This position will report to the Supervising Attorney of the Complex Litigation Unit. Paralegals are required to work under the direct supervision of a licensed attorney and may work under the supervision of staff attorneys and paralegals with advanced tenure and knowledge.
- Investigate factual claims, maintain client files, and collect and organize client documents and evidence.
- Conduct outreach to potential clients and provide support to existing clients.
- Prepare legal forms, pleadings, and other documents in connection with trials, settlements, and other legal proceedings.
- Write, edit, and finalize correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents, including drafting discovery and discovery
- Perform legal research, including checking citations.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client
- Maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems as
- Track and enter time into case management software (Legal Server).
- Assist with CLU administrative matters, including submitting expense reports.
- Assist with grant reporting and tracking grant deliverables.
- Other duties and projects as
- Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certificate.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent analytical and communication
- Reliable team player and
- The ability to work well under pressure and coordinate several activities at once.
- The initiative to problem-solve.
- The capacity to meet strict deadlines.
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with
- Proven interest in social justice
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- One year of experience as a paralegal.
- Experience using Westlaw or Lexis Nexis.
- Experience with the preparation of Judicial Council pleading forms.
- Experience working with populations who have experienced trauma.
Our staff members work a 35-hour week. We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, personal time, and sick time on their first day. Upon successfully completing the six-month probation period, compensation increases may be available within the first initial year of employment. Employee Assistance Program available. Employees who are able to prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position is open until filled.
Visit www.communitylegalsocal.org for more information about CLA SoCal.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.