SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $18.03 per hour to $28.69 per hour (Depending on experience)
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt (Hourly)
LOCATION: Santa Ana, CA
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low-income individuals and seniors. CLA SoCal has a staff of more than 100 employees and two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. CLA SoCal seeks an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and compassionate Paralegal who will thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced public interest law firm. CLA SoCal strongly prefers that the applicant have experience working with non-profits and/or law firms.
Paralegals are required by California law to work under the direction and supervision of a licensed attorney and may work under the supervision of staff attorneys and paralegals with advanced tenure and knowledge.
Our Paralegal reports to the Supervising Attorney and is responsible for interviewing and consultation, providing legal information and education, providing legal advice and counsel, and providing legal advocacy and representation in administrative legal matters. Paralegal will be covered 100% by our current Cal OES grant.
- Interview clients and maintain client files.
- Prepare legal forms, pleadings and other documents in connection with trials, settlements, and other legal proceedings.
- Write, edit and finalize correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents, including drafting discovery and discovery motions.
- Legal and factual research. Cite checking.
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationships.
- Maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems as needed.
- Enter time into Legal Server.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or a paralegal certificate. Must have at least one year of experience as a paralegal.
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with the preparation of judicial council pleading forms.
- Internet search skills including Westlaw and LexisNexis.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Reliable team player and multitasker.
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with others.
- Proven interest in social justice issues.
Our staff members work a 35-hour week. We offer an outstanding benefits package which includes: medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, personal time, and sick time on their first day. Upon successfully completing the six-month probation period, compensation increases may be available within the first initial year of employment. Employee Assistance Program available. Employees who are able to prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
To be considered for this position as an internal candidate, you must currently be classified as a regular employee. TO APPLY, send a resume and cover letter to Ebony Dailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding duties, responsibilities, and salaries for this position, please see Ebony Dailey. All internal candidates will be allowed preference for up to two weeks of the internal posting of the position. Any applications received after this date will be considered with external applications. Applicants are encouraged to apply at any time.
TO APPLY, send a resume and cover letter to Ebony Dailey at email@example.com.
Position is open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an equal opportunity employer.