POSITION: Staff Attorney – Education/Special Education
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, Exempt
LOCATION: Various Offices
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to assist families with special education needs to obtain equitable and meaningful education for their child(ren) through direct services and systemic and legal advocacy.
Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, this position is responsible for expanding access to equitable and meaningful education for families of special needs children:
- Expand CLA SoCal’s Learning Justice program to help parents gain the tools they need to more effectively advocate for their child(ren)’s education and well-being in the public-school system.
- Facilitating a “TIGER” advocacy training model with the Learning Rights Law Center (“Training Individuals for Grassroots Education Reform”).
- Help parents negotiate IEPs (Individualized Education Program), handle due process complaints and when necessary litigate.
Examples of Duties
- Provide direct advocacy services to low-income students through administrative and appellate process;
- Assist with litigation-oriented efforts;
- Represent clients at IEP meetings, resolution sessions, mediation, and due process hearings;
- Provide training and education to staff, targeted population and stakeholders;
- Research and stay current on legal issues to prepare for proper advocacy;
- Ability to file a minimum of 2-3 special education due process complaints per month;
- Develop written training materials and publications on special education and general education issues; and,
- Manage a caseload of 30 open cases.
- Active membership and good standing with the California State Bar;
- Demonstrated knowledge of special education law preferred;
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to communicate effectively with clients, attorneys, child welfare agencies, the judiciary and the public;
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement, hold and assist with legal clinics;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and,
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low income and the most vulnerable communities.
- Knowledge of disabilities.
- Knowledge of the legal and legislative framework of special education law.
- Knowledge of the education options available.
- Familiarity with IEP issues, disabilities, discipline issues and behavioral supports.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Form Builder, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, etc.) and other software programs.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.