POSITION: Staff Attorney – Senior Citizens Legal Advocacy Program
SUPERVISOR: Supervising Attorney
WAGE RANGE: $62,133.00 to 89,190.00 annually
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt; Full-Time
LOCATION: Santa Ana
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. CLA SoCal has a staff of more than 100 employees and two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. CLA SoCal seeks enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and compassionate candidates who will thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced public interest law firm. CLA SoCal strongly prefers that the applicant have experience working with non-profits and/or law firms.
The Staff Attorney reports to the Supervising Attorney and will handle a full range of civil legal problems that affect senior citizens, but not limited to, family law, housing, consumer, social security, elder abuse, limited conservatorships, and government benefits. The Staff Attorney is responsible for coordinating and attending workshops at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana, CA.
- Handles client interviews, negotiation, settlement, trial, and appeal of cases in State and Federal Courts.
- Researches and prepares pleadings and other legal documents in connection with trials, hearings, and other legal proceedings.
- Directs and supervises clinical law students and paralegals.
- Travels to certain Senior Citizen Centers throughout Orange County to conduct client interviews, and
- Coordinate and/or supervise the Limited Conservatorship Clinic at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana, CA.
- Participates in activities of community-based organizations and Bar Association activities.
- Bilingual in English and/or Spanish, Vietnamese, etc. highly preferred, but not necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as an attorney in the related field or other areas of law pertaining to Senior Citizen advocacy. New attorneys are encouraged to apply!
- Juris Doctorate and active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Form Builder, Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and other software programs.
- Proactive approach, anticipates problems, offers solutions, and able to think on their feet.
- High level of initiative and mature judgement in tackling multiple projects and tasks with limited supervision.
- Reliable team player and multitasker.
- Great organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with others.
- Articulate, creative, and passionate with excellent written and spoken English; skills and competence in grammar and spelling required.
- Proven interest in social justice issues.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, and sick time on their first day. Upon successfully completing the six-month probation period, compensation increases may be available within the first initial year of employment. Employees who are able to prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
To be considered for this position as an internal candidate, you must currently be classified as a regular employee. TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Ebony Dailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding duties, responsibilities and salaries for this position, please see Ebony Dailey. All internal candidates will be allowed preference for up to two weeks of the internal posting of the position. Any applications received after this date will be considered with external applications. Applicants are encouraged to apply at anytime.
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Ebony Dailey at email@example.com.
Position is open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an equal opportunity employer.